From Mr. Alton Brown!
I have made this recipe a million times and never change anything. It's simple, fast, and fool-proof.
I don't use a biscuit cutter. I roll the dough out and cut the biscuits into rustic strips. That way I don't have to re-roll the dough and don't end up with biscuits. I make one big layer of 1/4 inch biscuits and they end up being perfect for biscuits and gravy.
Work fast to get the ingredients together. The colder they stay, the better.
2 c. flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cold
2 Tbsp. shortening, cold
1 c. buttermilk, chilled
Preheat oven to 450.
1. Mix dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add cold butter and shortening. Mix in with a pastry cutter or fork. Don't over mix.
3. Make a well and add cold buttermilk. Mix in with fork just until combined.
4. Turn dough over onto heavily floured surface. Gently fold dough over 5-6 times.
5. Bake on a baking sheet lined with foil for 10-15 minutes.