I made this recipe after I watched an episode of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. They featured Pine State Biscuits and their amazing biscuits and gravy recipe. They did not give the accurate measurements for the gravy recipe but they did give out the ingredients used.
I have made this recipe a couple of times now and I think this time it was truly perfect! Even though it seems like there are a lot of ingredients they are mostly pantry items and you probably already have them on hand.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can adjust it any way you want. Don't like the spice? Leave out the cayenne pepper and the red chili pepper flakes. OR you can add more! Whatever your taste buds desire.
Make biscuits and gravy with this BISCUIT RECIPE.
1 Tbsp. oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground pork
1 1/2 tsp. vegeta
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (less if it's too spicy for you)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. sage
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. crushed fennel seeds
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
2 c. water
2 c. milk
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. maple syrup
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1. In a large saucepan on medium-high heat: add oil and onion. Saute 5 minutes.
2. Add ground pork and all of the seasonings. Brown pork on both sides, break up with wooden spoon. Cook for about 12 minutes.
3. Add water and cook on medium for 10 minutes. Keep breaking up the meat.
4. Add milk and heavy cream. Cook on medium for 5 minutes.
5. Make a roux in a small saucepan. Melt butter on medium-high. Stir in flour. After 2 minutes mix into the gravy mixture. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens. Stir in maple syrup.